Monday 27 August 2007

Stunt Kites

I haven't done much kite flying lately. I have only flown kites a few times in the past five years or so. Much of that is because my "good" kite needs repairs. And buying kite parts seems a bit frivolous when other bills need to be paid.

But I brought out my only "working" kite at a family get-together Sunday. It was fun for me. Even though I ripped one kite on the barn roof top, I had a good time. Even though good kites can cost a few dollars, once purchased, they require no gas or electricity. All you need is a fairly steady wind.

It was especially fun to see my nephews have fun with it. When the wind gusts pick up, it can give a person a pretty good workout. And it is just plain fun.

There are probably a few different symbolisms. But I tend to associate the wind with the Holy Spirit. It can be extremely powerful (think tornado or hurricane). But, still, wind is invisible. You may not see the Holy Spirit. But you might be able to see where it has been at work changing lives and circumstances.

One of the key things about kite flying is being aware of where the wind is blowing. First of all, is the wind blowing today? If so, what direction? And how steadily is it blowing? Once the kite is up in the air, the key is to work with the wind.

Most of us Christians have lots to learn in listening and discernment. But the most effective ministry is when the wind is blowing, when the Holy Spirit is moving. When the Spirit is moving, there are all kinds of possibilities. And power is available for internal and external miracles.

When I talk about internal miracles, I don't just mean physical healing. Although that certainly happens. And I have felt it go through me to others.

Sometimes, changing circumstances is the easy part. Even demons (fallen angels) can do some of that. Angels are powerful. But the bigger miracles are often the changed hearts. Being able to forgive or let go of bitterness, disappointment, resentment, etc. or simply have hope are often much bigger "miracles" in the grand scheme of things. The invisible force of the Holy Spirit, like the wind, can be very powerful.

Can you identify where the Spirit is moving in your community? Will you join in? If God is patiently working on internal miracles in your life, are you open to that?

When the wind of the Holy Spirit blows, will we fight it? Or will we join in and work with it?

1 comment:

Robyn Austin said...

Remember when we flew stunt kites on the sand dunes in Kittyhawk? I learned that you had to work WITH the wind, not AGAINST it, or you crash! Just like we have to let the spirit do its work. If we fight it, we crash. Good message, Ron. Keep up the good work!