Monday 13 August 2007

Storm Approaching

It is a strange time to be blogging. For the first time in years, a potential tornado system is approaching within a few miles of my home.

But it is good. And in some ways I am at peace if this is "the one". Times like these are good occasions to consider what is important to us. What matters? What 1% of our possessions really matters?

I hope to retain some health. And I hope to have at least some of my "life" stored on my computer saved.

But ultimately, besides my son, my writing and creations may be my legacy.

What will you leave behind? How is the world different because you were here? How has eternity been effected through you? What matters? How will you impact the world in the days and years ahead?

It appears we might only get baseball-sized hail. So I will probably survive with minor damage. But the questions remain. What matters?


I realize this may sound strange to some people. But one of the reasons I was fairly content about the storm was that I had prayed. I asked for God's protection, including using angels, to guard the house. But, if more appropriate, do whatever would give him the most glory.

One of the things I have liked about my-cast (free on the web) is that I can put the locations I want on the weather map. So I have my family mapped out as I watch the weather patterns.

As you can see in the image below, the severest part of the storm that approached from several miles away, split just as it got to my house. Then the line of pink reformed again. About three miles away there was golf ball sized hail. There had been tornadic activity and baseball sized hail earlier in the storm. One place within an hour's drive had a roof blown off a house. Numerous trees went down. Water was up to car windows in some areas. I just got a much needed rain.

Radar Image

The words "witness" and "testimony" have become such churchy and religious words these days. But in reality, a witness that testifies just tells a story. "This is what I saw..." "This is what I experienced..."

So part of the evening's experience is my chance to tell a little story that gives God honor for the way he is working in our lives. And it was a fitting ending after having a good time of community worship at the park in Forest Lake tonight.




If the weather was God's favor and not just a coincidence, it was not because I deserve anything special. It is true that God does show favor and honor certain people and actions at times. But the vast majority of the time, God's actions are not because of who we are or what we've done. He acts in spite of who we are. Grace is undeserved favor. And even as I update this blog in the early morning hours, it is clear how much I need his mercy. Even before getting out of bed and doing anything, our thinking can stray to thoughts that do not honor God, or even ourselves. I need his mercy, badly. Fortunately he is patient with me. It is a new day to start fresh.

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Next map of the storm. I remember when we were in the middle of the tornado that hit our neighborhood in Siren. I was praying like crazy for God to protect our house. Mainly praying for the house because it was less than a year that we had lived in it.

Tomorrow the first major tropical depression (not a hurricane) is expected to hit us with 3-5 inches of rain. Hopefully, that is all we will get! They were listing the places to pick up sandbags in the communities on the news. Not a good sign.

Thanks for your blogs. Rayna