Wednesday 8 August 2007

National Night In

Last night was the National Night Out. I see some good value in it, especially for security purposes.

My suburb of about 17,000 people had 55 official block parties yesterday. I was impressed by the number. My street hasn't had one in August in the 13 years I have been here. A few years there were neighborhood get-togethers later in the fall. But there haven't been any of those in the past five plus years.

I guess the people in my neighborhood don't see the value or perceive a need for those parties. So nobody organizes it - including me. Most of us have been around for several years. So the need to get acquainted with new people is less urgent here. I did go for a walk last evening to see if anyone was out. I only saw one couple on bikes.

So how important are physical neighbors these days?

I admit I am more introverted than some people. I don't have a huge need for frequent social gatherings. Others thrive on that. But the question above is more than just about being social. The world is different now with easy transportation and communication.

I really haven't felt a great need to be best friends with my neighbors. I don't have a lot in common with them. The people I care about most are several miles away. If I need something or wish to help someone, that can be done with family and friends and coworkers within an hour or so.

I don't have close relationships with my neighbors. And I really don't feel like I am missing much. How about you? Are relationships with physical neighbors important for you? Why or why not?

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

I have experienced different neighborhood. In one home, I never saw the people across the street once in six years. My "neighbors" were our friends from church. In my last neighborhood, we had the vast playground called a lake to bring us together. Today's neighbors are older (55 & over) and we live in a gated community. There are 88 lots and many of the home owners I have not met. Yet, we have social events almost monthly and a group of us play cards weekly. And another group of couples play games (cards, dominoes or marbles) on Friday or Saturday nights almost weekly. I am a social person and prefer the last two neighborhoods to some of the others I have lived in. Rayna