Monday 26 November 2007

The Freedom in Confession

It has been interesting reading the blog of a sister these past months. Writing things out is therapeutic in some ways. And, perhaps more importantly, there is a sense of healing and freedom in being honest about our true thoughts and feelings.
http://thepesproject.blogspot.com/2007/11/run-away-imagination.html

The healing power of confession has mostly been a Roman Catholic ritual. With Jesus as our High Priest, it doesn't require a human go-between to bring forgiveness. But still, I think it has been good for millions of people to confess to a person.

In church this Sunday, the PostSecret books were mentioned, along with a few samples. I had never heard of the book. So it was news for me. People have sent in anonymous postcards revealing secrets in their lives. They are honest. And getting some of those secrets out may prevent a suicide or two.

The books and web site are definitely not from a Christian perspective. But they reveal the huge need and, to some extent, real life of many. Without the intervention of God, we are a sinful lot with some wicked secrets. And yes, the Christians have secrets too.
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

One movie I have enjoyed over the years is Secrets and Lies. It is rated 94% (extremely high) at Rotten Tomatoes http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/secrets_and_lies/ And I believe it was nominated for at least one Academy Award. The story is about a family secret that has gone on for years. Check it out some time. The movie could be a good introduction to a discussion.

As a webmaster and writer, I have seen some of the "other side" of the Web. Site visitors have come from Google searches with phrases like "never good enough", "unmet emotional needs", "emotional affair pastor", "Christian and depression", "relationship apathy", "how to stop an affair", "unfulfilling marriage", "my husband does not respect me", "unappreciated spouse", "what I do is never good enough", and many, many, more. It is all anonymous. And most likely, some of these people searching for answers and hope have never shared their situation with another person, including their spouse. I am thankful my writing has offered some hope for many. But I admit going through the search terms can be very heavy as I see the great need.

Is it time for us to confess to someone? Will we be good and trustworthy listeners?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.