Thursday 12 July 2012

Day 9 - Lake Tahoe to Lassen Volcanic National Park

For Sunday, September 11

With the balloon event and camel races behind me, I woke up to a day with a very flexible schedule. I planned to be back in Reno on Thursday. But until then I could head any direction.

The morning was relaxing. I explored east of Dayton, Nevada a few miles on highway 50. I saw a motorcycle group ride for September 11th.

Motorcycle group ride 11 September 2011

Heading back west, I went along the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe, in Nevada. There was a big bike ride that day. It was a scenic route. But the mountainous roads are challenging when you are pedaling. There were many weary cyclists. On the northern end of the lake, I stopped at the state park to get better views of the lake. There was rain and storms on the west side of the lake. So my photos did not match some of the more typical Lake Tahoe shots. It was refreshing to take a very short swim in the clear water. I might have stayed a little longer. But there was a good chance of lightning striking the lake somewhere.

Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe

Leaving Lake Tahoe, I drove through a real nice downpour. The sign for the first road heading north said curves next 12 miles. Call me a party pooper if you wish. But I skipped that one and took the next one. That had a few more straight stretches. I wound back east to Reno and went by the airport I would visit later. On the way to Susanville on 395, I saw a shoe tree. There are others around. But I think this was the first one I had seen. My employer’s president is named Susan. And associating Susanville with work was about the most I thought about my job back home. I am on vacation.

Shoe tree north of Reno, Nevada
Shoe tree north of Reno

It was getting dark as I headed over to Lassen Volcanic National Park, north of Redding, California. I stopped briefly for some sunset pictures.

Northern California sunset
Northern California sunset

Northern California sunset

I arrived at the park in the dark, hoping they still had camping spots. There was one right in front near the parking lot. Favor! But I do admit it wasn’t exactly a flat spot. Using blankets or towels, it is pretty easy to prop up one side or end of a sleeping pad to make it fairly level. I slept all right. I had no need for the bear-proof containers. But it was a good reminder that I was out of the flat desert and back in bear country again.

Camp site (photos taken the next morning)
Lassen camp site

This is one type of bear-resistant storage container. The garbage cans here and at Lake Tahoe have levers that cannot be opened with bear paws. Bear-proof container

No comments: