Saturday 23 June 2012

Day 8 - Virginia City, Nevada

Continuing the morning...

After the balloons were mostly done in Reno, I headed over to Virginia City. The town has retained much of its Old West flavor.

Virginia City

I guess some people died shortly after large gambling losses.
Virginia City

Virginia City

Virginia City

Virginia City

Perhaps I can afford this one.
Virginia City

For me, it is fun to find splashes of color and growth in a dry, difficult environment.
Virginia City

A good deal?
Virginia City

Virginia City

I'm not sure which is more interesting: The old truck, the man, the skeleton in the window with its legs crossed, or the miscellaneous "stay away" messages.
Virginia City

I took a little train ride on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad to learn some history and see past and present gold mines.

Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Yes, there still is some gold, and other minerals, in them hills
Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Old gold mine
Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Virginia & Truckee Railroad

Strolling down the street as we returned
Virginia & Truckee Railroad

At noon, they had a short parade through town. I am not sure if they do that every day, every weekend, or just that one weekend. The parade included camels promoting the upcoming camel races.

Virginia City parade

Are they dressed up for a parade? Or is this business casual for their legal Nevada business?
Virginia City parade

I had read about their camel races. And those sounded interesting. I was hoping it was a distance race through the desert area there. I was a little disappointed that it was a company from Kansas that had brought in animals and the racing setup. But it was still fun to watch. It was my first time to see something like that in person.

Virginia City camel races

Riding an ostrich can be quite difficult.
Virginia City camel races

Zebras too!
Virginia City camel races

Virginia City Camel Races 2011 - Surprise Ending 1

Virginia City Camel Races 2011 - Surprise Ending 2

Despite nearly zero sleep the night before, I felt pretty good. I spent the evening over at Dayton State Park and had a nice relaxing evening. After lots of rushing the past week, I was ready to just sit for a few hours - and backup over 1,000 photos.

This is dry land.
lizard

After seeing a little lizard, I was more diligent than normal to keep the tent zipped up.
lizard

No comments: