Tuesday 19 June 2012

Day 6 - Washington and Oregon Coast

The day started out with some photos of the stream near my tent. It was still fairly early. I was learning that although mountains are nice for many things, they do block sunlight early and late in the day. So morning photos in the valleys may be mostly in the shade.

Better view than a motel parking lot (at least for me, on this day)
campsite
stream
stream
stream
stream
stream

I got back on U.S. 2 headed west once again in west-central Washington. I was still in parts of the Cascade Mountains. But on this particular stretch, there seemed to be few easy photo opportunities. There was mountain shade. And power lines followed the road most of the way. So I didn’t really get hardly any photos of the Cascades. Maybe I will next time.

Cascade Mountains
Cascade Mountains

I soon arrived in Everett, Washington. I attempted to follow U.S. 2 to the end. At least one map showed it following local city streets for a few blocks to the bay. I spent several minutes trying to find a sign on one of the streets. I found none. I backtracked some. And the best I can figure out, the highway now ends at the interchange with the I-5 freeway. But on the side streets I was able to see a few Navy ships in the harbor. Even though the water in Everett is connected to the ocean, the wide open Pacific Ocean is several miles further west.

After going west for several days, it was now time to head south. Just for fun, I had earlier prayed for sunshine in Seattle and refreshing rains for the desert. And as I drove through, it was indeed a rare bright sunny day in Seattle.

Drive-by shot of the Space Needle
Space Needle (poor quality shot)

To save time I stayed on the freeway for a while as I headed south. At Eugene, Oregon, I headed west once again towards the Oregon Coast of the Pacific Ocean. It was a fast, twisty drive. That was fun. I really hadn’t expected mountains between I-5 and the ocean. So that was a surprise.

At 6:15 p.m. I arrived in Florence, Oregon. It was named after my grandmother. Well, not really. But it was a fun name anyway. Near Florence, I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time in over 25 years. It was foggy. But it was still fun to see.

Florence Oregon coast
Florence Oregon coast

I was too late for the paid sea lion caves attraction. So I headed south along the coast on the 101 (U.S. highway 101) looking for a place to sleep.

It was interesting to see fresh water lakes very close to the ocean. There were numerous sand dunes as well. This area may need a return visit for me.

There were a few camping options. But the most convenient one was Carter Lake Campground in Dunes City, Oregon. It is always fun to find places with family names. I have a nephew named Carter. The campground was near a small lake and several sand dunes. I climbed a dune to get phone reception and for a better view. But I could not see or hear the ocean from that spot.

Carter Campground
A site named after my 7 R sisters has to be good!
Carter Campground Site 7R
View from the nearby dune
Oregon sand dunes
View down towards the camp site
Oregon sand dunes
Random plant (I have no idea what it is. But it is strong enough to survive on a sand dune.)
Oregon sand dune plant

No comments: