Tuesday 1 April 2008

We Are Going to State!

It has been tournament time once again. Even my high school returned to the basketball tournament after missing it for 35 years. And I am reminded I still haven't written my "Going to State" thoughts that have been hanging around in the back of my head for at least three years.

It is with great excitement that most schools and individuals exclaim "We are going to State!" This is especially true for those who rarely have that opportunity. Going to State is an honor.

As part of any tournament or competition, the competition gets tougher with each step. This is true whether you are competing in sports, music, speech, drama, quiltmaking, or some other activity. Each level brings greater and greater challenges. And we look forward to that.

We know that the challenges will reveal our capabilities, our limitations, and our possibilities. But regardless of the risks and the cost involved, we still regard it as an honor.

But then there is real life... We hear others, and perhaps ourselves, complain about our challenges. Despite the testimonies of many that challenges made them stronger, we still tend to complain when circumstances are difficult.

Besides the people around us, even nature shows us the benefits of difficulties. Roots go deeper during drought. Plants and animals can get tougher in the most trying times. And we can too.

One of the "benefits" of a whole bunch of "challenges" is that we can learn to persevere. And the next challenges don't seem so daunting when they aren't a huge step bigger than the past "impossible" situations we lived through.

I haven't consistently conquered the temptations of attitude. I can complain with the best or worst of them and I have my moments of pity. I too often forget God's faithfulness in helping me through past challenges. And I would be lying if I claimed to look forward to every hard time coming my way. But over time, a person truly can have some peace regardless of circumstances. And eventually I might be able to occasionally embrace the difficulties with the hope of what may result from the experience.

Are you looking forward to "Going to State", or whatever big challenge may be in your future?

No comments: