Monday 16 June 2008

Sloppy Wet Kiss

Like a sloppy wet kiss...

As I read the lyrics, I had to smile. This wasn't from a CD of love songs. Those were the lyrics on the screen at the front of the church.

I was enjoying passionate worship with a group of mostly twenty-somethings. They needed no prompting to cry out with passion and tears "Oh how he loves us. Oh how he loves us."

How can I describe the love God has for us, the love he has for you? It is lavish, passionate, compassionate, never-ending, and always faithful. Like a flooding river, it just flows and flows and flows. It is full of mercy, pure, tender, and so much more. It is amazing. It is simply outrageous, in a good way. It is both powerful and gentle. Let him wrap his arms around you and hold you safely in his arms.

"I realize how great your affections for me....
So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest.
I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way...
He loves us, Oh how he loves us..."

~ How He Loves Us by John Mark McMillan

Listening to the song again tonight, it brought tears. The lyrics aren't necessarily profound. But there is power in the passion and, for me, the memories of that recent evening.

Here is a version similar to the way I heard it live with a band and a young lady singing with passion:





The song is mostly background for this one. Crop out the last minute or so and this is a powerful
statement that few churches would dare attempt. Grab a Kleenex. If your browser has a zoom
feature in the lower right (or Ctrl+), you may wish to zoom in to 150 or 200% for reading.





Here is a version by the songwriter with some background behind the song:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ron- I found your blog when I googled song lyrics for the "sloppy wet kiss" song...I too have been blessed by those words and by the extravagant heart behind them. I enjoyed reading your thoughts- thanks for putting them out there for fellow sojourners to read.

Keep heart!
Kim